Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Blogging on the job...

So this may be a huge no no, but the kids are watching a video, I have filled up water balloons in a preemptive afternoon cool-down strategy, and the handiest handy man to ever live is setting up the sprinkler. Get your internet when you can, I say. I am blogging on the job.

This past weekend was an adventure. Saturday morning we woke at three to take the 4 30 (as opposed to 16 30, that is) train to Krakow. In the evening we rolled through Polish mountain country by train, heading to Zakopane and the Tatra mountains. If I have ever felt something like peace, it was in the Tatra mountains. They are the most beautiful part of Poland I've seen. If I had to pick up my things and go anywhere, forever, without going back, I would go to the Tatra mountains.

My host called the people who lived there Mountaineers, and said she loved them for their character. From the train I saw sheep and cows and goats and mountain dogs, women piling hay into bales, men building houses and cutting wheat with scythes. Actual scythes. Like the grim reaper, but not grim. Just reaping.

I've yet to meet someone on this journey who lacks character, from Warsaw to Ząbki to Zakopane to Błonie. Every person I've met has offered me coffee and tea and fruit and cake and after that, they offer thoughtful, serious discussion. They don't hold back, and yet they hold their conversation with levity and patience. I don't know. They all claim that things in Poland are not so good, but their standards of living are noble. Nothing short of noble.

More on the camp later. For now, lunch and water balloon battles!

No comments:

Post a Comment